In typical North Texas fashion, the temperatures have been pretty mild this winter season. No surprise there. Wearing shorts in January is quite a privilege, and is a tease for those who despise the cold weather. Unfortunately, we still have plenty of winter left to endure before we can put our coats away. That means our furnaces and fireplaces will be fired up to keep our homes warm and comfortable through the cold. Although the thought of a warm fireplace brings back even warmer memories, you must remember that the cost of comfort can come with a price. And we’re not talking about your utility bill. Just like a good chimney sweep, your furnace and heating system should be inspected every year.
Carbon Monoxide Danger
Carbon Monoxide (CO) is colorless, odorless, and extremely deadly. And what’s most frightening about this silent killer, is how easy it is to be exposed to it. CO is the incomplete combustion of fuels, and is very prominent in auto exhaust, power tools, water heaters, furnaces, fireplaces, and more. You may be thinking, “If carbon monoxide is nearly undetectable by my senses, how will I know if I’m being exposed to it?” Your body will give you signals of distress when you are experiencing toxic amounts of CO.
Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
The symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning typically involve nausea, severe headaches, impaired judgment, and more. The symptoms have been described as “flu-like,” minus some common Flu characteristics, such as fever or swollen lymph nodes. Sadly, many lives are lost when people fail to address these symptoms as exposure to carbon monoxide. More so, exposure to the gas can take lives while people are sleeping. This makes the situation even more frightening, because CO poisoning turns fatal alarmingly fast. So how do we protect ourselves and our loved ones from being poisoned in our own homes?
How Do I Prevent Carbon Monoxide Danger In My Home?
Carbon monoxide may be difficult to detect, but not impossible. Carbon monoxide detectors are an absolute must-have item for your home. The life-saving benefits and peace of mind highly outweigh any cost. You never know when an appliance may go bad, and start leaking carbon monoxide into your home. Carbon monoxide detectors will give you the warning you need to find fresh air and seek help. Even if you live in an area that doesn’t require too much heating use throughout the year, CO detectors are still a must, as carbon monoxide is a threat that can occur anytime.
When it comes to protecting yourself and your loved ones from carbon monoxide danger, simply knowing is half the battle. It’s hard to protect yourself from something you can’t see, smell, or hear, but at A#1 Air, we have carbon monoxide detectors to keep your home safe from danger. Prevent carbon monoxide poisoning from happening in your home today.